Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Winter in August

This month's biscornu for the:

Winter Petersburg is done! It's by Olga, who has a lot of very pretty freebies. The blog is in Russian but pictures are a universal language :)

The three squares that repeat. I love the pattern and the combination of stitches. I really enjoyed stitching the squares and it didn't get boring even though I had to do each five times.
Assembly was tricky since 5 corners come together at the top and bottom and 4 at each side. I went across and back and forth to narrow the gap. There was still a pretty big gap at the top and bottom so I put a bunch of beads to cover that up.
It's actually pretty massive and I had to hunt for ages to find a needle that could reach from the bottom to the top and still go through a bead. The beads are giant so it wasn't too bad.
I'm not sure if it's something that happens with all 15-sided biscornus or if it's because I used aida but the corners aren't smooth and stuffed. They are even more pointy in person.
I really enjoyed working on this. I'll probably do a few more if I can find any nice 15-sided patterns.

TitleWinter Petersburg
Start dateAugust 8, 2014
Finish dateAugust 24, 2014
Total time23.75 hours
Fabric16 ct red aida
Floss & BeadDMC B5200, MH 16603

Monday, August 25, 2014

August TUSAL

So much white this month! White Petersburg ate up so much floss and I had to frog a couple of times so those are in there too.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

August SFS

August was spending free. I mostly worked on Winter Petersburg. The fabric was from a kit I swapped out and DMC is from my massive pile. I feel a little like buying some charts. It feels like it's been forever since I bought anything except DMC after running out. Maybe I'll put it towards some horrifically expense kit and then wallow in guilt...

Spending so far is $73.48
I have $126.52 banked

More about Stitch From Stash here:

Monday, August 18, 2014

Winter Petersburg?

I got a very early start on this month's biscornu. This is a 15-sided biscornu by Olga. I think it's called Зимний Петербург, which Google Translate says is Winter Petersburg (I would greatly appreciate any corrections from anyone who knows Russian.)

Winter Petersburg
16 ct red aida
The original is on evenweave so I've had to make some changes since I don't want to keep piercing the fabric. I also just realized that I'm supposed to weave another thread through those running lines in the middle squares, so I have to go do that.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Nothing To Show

I actually started something new after Friday's Ohm update, so no progress on the WIP slaying. Oops.

25 ct Black lugana

This month's question:
Tell us about your oldest and newest WIPs.
My oldest WIP is Ganesha from 2009.
It's meant as a gift for my parents. It's like a HAED in that a symbol might appear only twice in a 10x10 block, and like a Teresa Wentzler in that everything is a blend. And it's on aida. Sometimes I think I should just restart it. Other times I think I should just chuck it and offer my parents something else. My mum wants Winter Queen and I've been reluctant. I might just give it to her and restitch Winter Queen for myself. I'm much more likely to finish that than Ganesha at the rate I'm going!

My newest WIP is this month's biscornu, which I started on Friday. I haven't stitched much but it's fun so far.

Friday, August 8, 2014

Crazy Colours

I'm feeling the need to rotate! I haven't decided what's going to be in said rotation, but the first one is Ohm.

25 ct Black lugana
This is a ridiculously forgiving pattern as far as colour is concerned. There's hot pink next to dark blue and red next to neon green. It makes no difference at all if I use the wrong colour. And I think I could probably stitch the motif wrong too, but as long as I mirrored it and don't go outside the shape of the overall design it wouldn't be noticeable either. It's very freeing to stitch something so forgiving.

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Oh Canada

I'm late posting this for the Smalls SAL, but everything about this project is late. Oh well.

This was my project for Canada Day. (For the non-Canadians in the crowd that's July 1st which celebrates the British North America Act of 1867 which united the then-existing colonies into a country). I started it on June 30 and had no hope of finishing it by the next day, and I actually did finish it by the last Wednesday but then I didn't post it. I'm just late everywhere.

And assembled:

I had to restart this because I ran out of floss and the second skein didn't match the first. I was particularly shocked because it was DMC! And then the leftover fabric wasn't enough to stitch the whole thing so I had to leave out the border.

TitleCanada Biscornu
Start dateJune 30, 2014
Finish dateJuly 30, 2014
Total time10.25 hours
Fabric32 ct white lugana
FlossDMC 321