Saturday, November 26, 2011

More Feathers

Part 6 of The Great Escape. This wraps up the breast feathers. I believe it's the wings next time.

The Great Escape
28ct white Jubilee, DMC 317, 318, 413, 414

The penultimate breast feather is the Oyster stitch. This was... weird. I spent the whole time convinced that I was stitching it absolutely wrong, even though I wasn't. I think it was the multiple wrapping.

The last row is the Breton stitch. This was alright, I guess. It's a very narrow stitch and takes a lot of individual stitches to look good. There are 10 Oysters and about 30 Bretons as a comparison.

Friday, November 25, 2011

TUSAL November

Sign-ups for next year are here.

All that blue is from that Hardanger Angel mess.
And that blob of white is from when I frogged some practice stitches to make way for said angel.

Now I'm off to stitch the next part of The Great Escape.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Eye See

More of The Great Escape.

The Great Escape
28ct white Jubilee, DMC 317, 318, 413, 414

Sprat's Head stitch in between the eyes. I've done this once before and it's a pretty easy stitch. I've never done the Jessica stitch before; I just know that Chatelaine stitchers mention it all the time as being not too much fun. Personally I loved it! I think it was the circular symmetry. And the Diamond Eyelet in the middle was old hat. Yawn.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Finish The Set

We have snow that is here to stay and the sun sets before 5 o'clock. I'd say winter is here to stay.

I had a rather slow week, stitching-wise. However I did manage to finish Intermediate Whitework Ornament in the same colourway as Beginner Whitework Ornament.

Lots of new stitches in this one. The centre is the plaited stitch and it's surrounded by diamond eyelets and queen stitches. I know that a lot of people complain about the Queen stitch, but I found it pretty easy.

The innermost red is the three-sided stitch which for some reason has you going over the same leg twice with one strand instead of once with two strands. Presumably there is a deep and meaningful reason behind this, but I can't for the life of me figure it out!

Plait stitch (over 4) bordered by Double Leviathan stitches are next. This was pretty easy too. Then the satin blocks to anchor the drawnwork.

And then I hit a snag. The instructions don't tell you which way to stitch the Hem stitch, and since I've never done it before I had to stop and look up pictures on the internet. And I didn't get back to stitching for a couple of days.

Once I figured that out, it was Rhodes squares in the corner. I left the drawn work until the very end.

The outermost border was supposed to be plait stitch over 2, but I found it too tight and frustrating (even with one strand) so I just quit while I was ahead and stitched regular crosses.

Finally (whew!) the cutting. I accidently cut off once of the vertical threads and had to reinsert one. I think it went pretty well, since you can't tell where the fix is! Otherwise I had no more trouble with this than anything else. I guess all those small hardanger pieces paid off.

And that is my epic working of IWO. In the future I'm more likely to stitch BWO simply because when I finish that I don't have to worry about placing fabric behind drawnwork~

TitleIntermediate Whitework Ornament
Start dateNovember 13, 2011
Finish dateNovember 19, 2011
Total time6.75 hours
Fabric32 ct white lugana
FlossCC Bandana, WW Lucky, MH 42011

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Happier News

After Friday's unhappiness I am pleased to show off a much more successful endeavour. Beginner Whitework Ornament by TWDesignworks.

Now I'm off to try my hand at Intermediate Whitework Ornament

TitleBeginner Whitework Ornament
Start dateNovember 12, 2011
Finish dateNovember 13, 2011
Total time5.75 hours
Fabric32 ct white lugana
FlossCC Bandana, WW Lucky, MH 42011

Friday, November 11, 2011

Too Exhausted To Be Frustrated

I started this angel as part of a HAL and it's just been so frustrating. The instructions say to stitch the outline first. I started too close to the edge so I had to rip out an hour of work.

The second time I managed to squeeze in one side with a margin of ~6 threads. See bottom left.

I finally finished the outline and started the inner part only to realize that it didn't line up with the outline. See the upper right.

Sniping the outline is not an option because I'm running low on the floss, so I have to figure out where the error is and then unstitch. And I can't find the error.

The current plan is to stitch the inside and thereby find the error.

I knew there was a reason to start things in the middle.

Friday, November 4, 2011

Better Sit Down For This

Longtime readers should have figured out by now that I start seasonal stitching as the season in questions ends.

You should all be sitting down since I've finished a Christmas design. In November.


DesignerLog Cabin Needlework
Start dateNovember 3, 2011
Finish dateNovember 4, 2011
Total time2.75 hours
Fabric32 ct waterlily jobelan
FlossCC Bandana, DMC 319, MH 42011