Pages

Friday, February 26, 2016

Catch of the Day


I don't remember where I even saw this first, but there was something that just caught me. I had it on my wishlist for months waffling on whether to buy it or not since it's a bit different from what I've been stitching lately. And then I remembered that I stitch for myself and that it was my money so went ahead and bought it XDDD

It was pretty fun to stitch (despite the fact that I felt like I was complaining about it 80% of the time). I will never pick this linen again, but it was a leftover piece from Bluebeard's Princess and I don't think I have any other design in my stash that would even remotly work on it. Plus it gives it a vibe like it's in the murky waters which is kind of nice.

It's charted in Weeks Dye Works, of which I have a few and was uninterested in purchasing, so I went with the DMC conversion. I think I mentioned it before but it wasn't the best conversion I've come across: there were multiple DMC options given per WDW (understandable since WDW is an overdye, but the DMCs were all so widely different from each other and there didn't seem to be that much variation in the WDW) and one of the colours wasn't given any DMC option at all. My choices were ultimately a combination of the suggested ones and literally me sitting there and staring at the stitched colours and the model and trying to pick something out of my box that would match. I don't think I did a terrible job although I'm not too sure about the grey bottom. I think it's a bit too grey; I should have probably gone with a more green-grey.

The design features some buttons that I don't have and I haven't dug through my button box for any replacements. I kind of like it as is, so I might leave off the buttons. This was also my first time stitching Colonial Knots and I was so confused about what I was doing. Next time I'll just do French Knots.

My conversion for future reference, and in case anyone is curious :)
Weeks Dye WorksDMC
Amber977
Berry Splash3687
Blue Heron932
Capri3766
Daffodil3819
Deep Sea3750
Eggplant154
Grits3865
Guacamole3012
Seaweed3362
Spanish Moss647
Sweet Potato920

TitleSteampunk Seaserpent
DesignerSamSarah
Start dateJanuary 1, 2016
Finish dateFebruary 21, 2016
Total time25 hours
Fabric32 ct laurel linen
FlossSee above

14 comments:

Rachel Tomkins said...

Without comparing your version to the original I'd say your interpretation looks very funky and steampunkish. I congratulate you on your finish and now wonder what your next project will be. :)

Justine said...

That looks great - your fabric choice really does set off those bright colours. Great job!

Margaret said...

I don't know what steam punk is but your fish looks pretty funky. Funny you should prefer french knots over colonial knots - i am the exact opposite. But well done on completing your fish.

Marlene jones said...

I love this design, it's fun, and you are right you stitch for your self. I have just purchased a kit from France, expensive to buy and ship and I won't use the fabric in the kit. But I love the design so it's mine. As for picking the colours, I use DMC when I can and often look at my threads to pick colours and I often use a colour I have rather than purchase one very simular.

Le trame della Galaverna said...

Beautiful projects and colours

Rhona said...

It's beautiful! Your colour choices look wonderful.

Heather said...

I think it turned out great! I like Le the gray bottom it has a good contrast with the fabric

blue star stitcher said...

I have seen this design before, and love the funkiness of it. I think your conversions turned out nicely.

Lesley said...

I love this and your colour choices work brilliantly...the light bulbmakes me smile:)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I think this design is awesome and would work in pretty much any colours you could choose!

Suz said...

Looks great! And I also had a lot of fun stitching this one.

To be honest, I was kvetching most of the time I stitched mine, because I "splurged" on the WDW, and most of them were not variegated enough to justify spending the extra money. I figure if I do any of the other Steampunk pieces (Sparrow and Bee right now), I'll convert as well.

Your conversion looks good, and I like your fabric choice :)

D1-D2 said...

Always stitch for yourself first :)

Annie said...

That just looks like a ton of fun to stitch with all those colors. I always wish the designers would take a little more care when the offer a DMC conversion. Your choices look good to me... a wild and wacky piece!

claire93 said...

ooooh I really love the colours & style of this one