Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Smalls & Goals

This month's finish for the Smalls SAL is Heart of Manitoba.

Do the individual parts of Boo Club count as their own finishes? Because technically I had to play six times for the whole design so two parts are one pattern, right?

This month's review:

Goals for September:
1. Start and finish two Heart. I stitched one, but I completely forgot I was planning on stitching another!
2. Finish at least 6 of 12 Boo Club sections. Done.
3. 10 hours of Cables and Columns. 8 hours. But considering how many times I had to frog, it was probably 5 hours of actual progress :(

Goals for October:
1. Finish Boo Club for Halloween.
2. Finish Cables and Columns, since I want to wear it this winter.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Stitch From Stash - September

Month: August
Spent: $12.14
Carryover: 56.18

More DMC. I'm always surprised at how fast some of the colours get used and how others linger on forever. I think I've replaced maybe two out of all the 36xx, 37xx and 38xx series, whereas I go through multiple skeins of 898 and 3371 a month!

I finally reached Venetian Opulence's frame. I just realized that while there won't be any problems finishing off the bottom part, counting up to the top is going to be tricky. I just know I'm going to miscount the sides :(

Venetian Opulence - Mirabilia
32 ct Ivory

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Flat and White

Hot off the press!

Manitoba is the first of the non-original provinces. The creation of Manitoba involved a lot of drama. A quick timeline: originally the French explored the area and intermarried with the First Nation people (their descendents are the Metis). Great Britain won the area after the Seven Years War, and it eventually became part of the Northwest Territories. The concerns of the Metis were ignored, so a Metis leader, Louis Riel created a local government. The prime minister John A MacDonald (our first one, famously a drunkard who doodled on Important Documents) quickly introduced the Manitoba Act. There was more drama, Riel was pursued by the army, he fled into exile, he returned to lead another rebellion but failed and was executed for treason. The third Monday of February is now Louis Riel Day, a provincial holiday!

Manitoba is a prairie province and the butt of many jokes about its endless flatness and fields of wheat and canola, the terrible winters and lack of anything to do anywhere in the province excepting hunting and fishing.

Shown here are the Prairie Crocus, the Great Grey Owl and the White Spruce. The specialty stitch is the Overlapping Oblong Cross Stitch and it looks like a braid. It was weird to stitch and I was convinced that I was counting wrong the entire time even though I wasn't.

TitleHeart of Manitoba
DesignerThe Victoria Sampler
Start dateSeptember 13, 2015
Finish dateSeptember 15, 2015
Total time5.5 hours
Fabric32 ct white lugana
FlossAs charted

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Getting Spookier

I'm listening to an absolutely wonderful audiobook right now and Boo Club is getting all the benefit :)

Boo Club - Lizzie*Kate
25ct white Lugana

I'm undecided on whether the cobwebs are too faint. You can see them a little better in person, but maybe I should frog and stitch them in a light grey?

Those spiders were a pain. The legs all had to be stitched by piercing threads; not fun.

Monday, August 31, 2015

August Achievements & September Goals

Goals for August:
1. Start and finish the next Heart. Heart of New Brunswick! Done and done.
2. 10 hours of Cinderella. Not even a minute
3. Start Boo Club. Yes. Two parts done and a third started.

Unexpectedly This Month:
1. Started Venetian Opulence

Goals for September:
1. Start and finish two Heart.
2. Finish at least 6 of 12 Boo Club sections.
3. 10 hours of Cables and Columns

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Maritimes Again

This month's Small is Heart of New Brunswick, which I apparently forgot to post! While Canada as a nation is officially bilingual (English and French), New Brunswick is the only province that is officially bilingual.

Canada being bilingual means that any government service must be provided in both French and English; how good the service is in the non-majority language varies depending on the area. What makes all the other provinces different from New Brunswick (since they all technically offer both languages) is beyond me. I never paid that much attention in Civics class :)

On the individual level, Canadians are proud of "being" bilingual, but for practical purposes most of us don't speak both the official languages. I think it's something like 20% of the population speaks both English and French. Personally, I took my mandatory high school French, one course in university, spent one month in Quebec and can currently say hello, ask how are you and say goodbye. Use it or lose it, and I definitely haven't used it XD

This design has the Purple Violet, the Black-Capped Chickadee and Balsam Fir (flower, bird, tree). The specialty stitch is the Scotch Stitch

TitleHeart of New Brunswick
DesignerThe Victoria Sampler
Start dateAugust 4, 2015
Finish dateAugust 9, 2015
Total time5 hours
Fabric32 ct white lugana
FlossAs charted

Monday, August 24, 2015

Stitch From Stash - August

Month: August
Spent: $6.68
Carryover: 43.32

It was ~7 dollars worth of DMC, none of which are in Boo Club, which is chugging along. The first thing I did when I started the border was realize it wasn't symmetrical. That would have irked me forever, so it was changed asap!

Boo Club - Lizzie*Kate
25ct white Lugana